Sunday, May 07, 2006

Keep Up!

Can you be a techno geek at the age of 50? Or is a geek by definition a spotty youth? If that's ageism, then I'm doing my bit to counter it. This week, as well as eating mainly Special K (don't ask!) I have made great progress in the technological revolution... Firstly I purchased (online of course) a brilliant MP3 digital voice recorder - and yes, IT'S THE FUTURE! This week I did my side of a radio interview on it which I cleverly emailed as an MP3 file to a radio station - but that's just the start. Watch out for a new wave of podcasts - when I've got a few spare hours, ha.

I've also now got something called a Mobizine on my phone. And this is the phone which I thought could already do everything - I already listen to the radio on it while it makes the tea. But the Mobizine is brilliant - ITS THE FUTURE! AT the touch of a button I get a huge welter of headlines which i can dip into and if I'm interested they automatically log on to the internet and go straight to the story in depth on the BBC news website. So you see, I'm also getting more for my license fee. It's my BBC too!

Which is good because I've decided there should be more programmes like The Da Vinci Code, The Greatest Story Ever Sold, on BBC 4 last night. It was, almost, a thorough examination - and demolition - of the 'facts' of the best selling book, and it should be required viewing for anyone who's read the book or will see the film - which is probably everyone, according to the incredible sales figures. I say almost because it missed out my two main gripes about the Da Vinci Code - (a) the book suggests you have to jump on the Underground from the Temple church to Kings College (they are actually a few hundred yards apart and served by the same station- geek fact number one) and (b), slightly more importantly, why would anyone seek the Holy Grail at all if its just the bloodline of an ordinary bloke who married a prostitute and had kids. Ruth Gledhill, the Times journalist (doesn't she look young?) , did alude to this fact when she asked why, if there were people around who are descended from Jesus why aren't they out saving the world? And an old chap who obviously knew a thing or two pointed out that Versailles isnt north of Paris - so we know the book is a bit rubbish on its geography.

Anyway, The Da Vinci Code, the greatest story ever sold, should (apart from that title) have pleased this new Roman Catholic task group which my Mobizine (it's the future) alerted me too while I was rehearsing Ruddigore (May 23rd to 27th, Harrogate Theatre, seats in all parts) the other evening. The Da Vinci Code Response Group includes a Benedictine abbot and two priests who are seeking to counter its damaging effects on the church. It's a tough task but BBC 4's programme went some way to helping them in their , dare I say, quest .

Once upon a time knights in shining armour went seeking a special cup, or was it a plate? Either way, as crockery goes, it was in demand. Perhaps the Da Vinci Code Response Group should do something positive and set about recovering the real Holy Grail. Oh, and allow Roman Catholic women to become priests instead of just housekeepers. That might help.

1 Comments:

At 3:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it about time that everyone got used to the fact that The Da Vinci Code is meant as a work of fiction and a flawed one at that, I hate geographic inaccuracies especially in thrillers when physical background is so important to the vivid nature of the plot.. Don't let geekiness rule you, embrace the new technology learn to make it work for you and move on up the electronic superhighway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home